Housed at the Gallery in close co-operation with the Nelson Boat Owners Group, the Thornycroft Collection consists of documents, photographs, diaries, plans, models, books and other artefacts from the early days of the Thornycroft company’s arrival in the Solent in the early part of the 20th century.  As well as providing some material for display, it is available for research purposes by prior arrangement with the Gallery archivists.

Grandfather with Water Lily on the Thames
Sir John with tank models
Test tank models with Olympic Gold Medal certificate on display
Tom, Monaco, 1908
Building the test tank, 1906
The pond in the garden at Bembridge
Sir John by the test tank
Blanche using the test tank
30 knots hydroplane
Sir John with Tom and Blanche
Early hovercraft?
Torpedo boat 1910
The 1912 test tank, Bembridge
After the fire 1912
Tom sitting on the wreckage, Bembridge
German officers examining a damaged CMB
Coastal Motor Boat
Tom and Uffa and crew, 14's
Tom and Uffa with trophies
King Duck
Show More

East Cowes Gallery


Columbine Building

Columbine Road

East Cowes

PO32 6EZ


Tel.  01983 244101

Cowes (West) Boat Museum and Restorations workshop


117a Medina Yard

Thetis Road


Isle of Wight

PO31 7DJ


Classic Boat Restorations Registered in England

No. 4083685

The Classic Boat Centre Trust

Registered Office

36 Castle Road


Isle of Wight

PO31 7QZ

Registered in England No.


Charity Number:



  • Facebook - Grey Circle
Torpedo boat 1910