Trinity House (the official authority for lighthouses in England and Wales) have loaned the lens from the St Catherine’s lighthouse to the Classic Boat Museum. It is fantastic to have it back on the Island.
The 100 year-old lens and mercury system were decommissioned from the lighthouse when the new LED lighting system was installed.
The museum has designed a special base to display the lens in the Boat Shed in the Medina Yard. It has taken the whole volunteer team to install it.
On completion it will form part of our 'Safety at Sea' display, including the Queen Victoria (1887) and Jessie Lumb (1939) lifeboats, which are very popular with schools and families.
Please see the video below to learn more about how lighthouses work.