It’s hard to believe that at one time there were more seaplanes in Cowes Harbour than boats – the first successful seaplane, the Batboat, was built here in 1913, and in the 1950’s the three largest flying boats in the world were all under construction in the same sheds occupied today by the Museum Gallery. Models, plans and drawings tell much of the history of this lesser known side of maritime engineering that was such a major part of the Island industry.
Wight seaplane at Calshot 1915
Schneider bent at Calshot
Wight seaplane scout Calshot 1915
Cowes Harbour 2
Saunders shed, East Cowes